Mathias Müller, Vienna ca. 1810
Matthias Müller was a famous builder in his time, carrying the title ‘KK Hof Fortepianomacher (Kaiserlich Königlich priviligiert) and this instrument is a magnificent example of his workmanship. Special is the nut (the bridge on the pin block) covered with brass. It probably causes the very long tone and singing treble.
Miniature ca. 1810
The music stand and pedal stretcher with the pedals were missing. These parts were copied from a similar Müller from the Historisches Museum in Frankfurt. Also the nameplate was missing, but from the metal medal in the soundboard this could be deciphered: ‘Aus de K.K. Landesfabrik des M. Mü..er in W.en.
The piano had suffered a quite a lot in former repairs, wrong glues, while wood and holes were cut out of the bottom to get to the soundboard. Several arms were missing from the beautiful caryatid legs.
Recordings, a selection
Franz Schubert, Impromptus
Zig-Zag Territoires, ZZT 100102
Kölner Akademie/Michael Willens
Beethoven, “Ein neuer Weg”